Rodenticide toxicity is the accidental ingestion of products used to kill rodents such as mice, rats and gophers. Poisoning is most commonly caused by ingestion of a product containing one of the following ingredients: bromethalin, cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), strychnine, zinc phosphide or anticoagulant (warfarin, fumarin, chlorophacinone, diphacinone, pindone, bromadiolone, brodaficoum).

The affect on the animal will depend on the type of poison ingested and the amount. Bleeding disorders, neurologic problems, gastrointestinal distress or kidney failure can occur. Without treatment, rodenticide toxicity can be fatal.

Diagnosis and Treatment Notes:

  • Rodenticide toxicity is generally diagnosed by bloodwork, urinalysis and clotting tests. In some cases, examination and testing of the stomach contents may be beneficial.
  • Treatment depends on the type of toxin ingested, severity of the disease, your individual pet, and your veterinarian. If ingestion was recent, inducing vomiting is often recommended followed by administration of activated charcoal. Intravenous fluids, blood transfusion, muscle relaxants, medications for kidney failure or brain swelling or vitamin K therapy may be necessary, depending on the specific toxin ingested . Discuss treatment details when your pet is diagnosed with this condition.


What to Watch for*:

  • Lethargy
  • Bleeding
  • Loss of appetite
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea
  • Increased thirst or urination
  • Incoordination
  • Difficulty walking
  • Collapse
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Seizures
  • Coma

*Please notify us if you notice any of the above signs or if you have any questions!